Skip to main content

Handmade Throw Blanket

Fall is one of my favorite times of year! Even though it’s been very warm here lately, the calendar shows that Fall is right around the corner! I like the crisp cool air, bundling up in sweaters and boots, and enjoying a hot drink under a warm blanket.

One year for Christmas I gave my husband a handmade blanket that is soft and cuddly. It was one of those heavier types that is just so comfortable to drape over yourself. However, it was a bit more manly than my taste so I decided to make my own blanket.

I had a beautiful chenille blanket with fringe that I had purchased secondhand. Sadly, one day some of the fringe got caught in the vacuum cleaner... you can imagine what happened! Even though I thought the blanket was beautiful it seemed a little fragile to me, so I decided to cut it down, attach it to another blanket, and make it into a throw that is easy to pull up over you as you read a book or chat with a friend.


This is a great project for salvaging those old beautiful blankets that you love, but feel are not very practical for every day use. Do you have a blanket like that? Here is a peak into how I made mine... 


Start by cutting a section of your blanket out that measures your preferred size (mine measured approximately 76”x51”. I used my husbands blanket as a guide.)

Next, lay out your new blanket and smooth flat, arrange your old blanket piece on top and pin down. (I added strips of white material to the edges of mine. I like how it gave it a small border, and a little bit of a quilt feel without much work. This step is optional.)


Using embroidery floss or yarn and a curved needle, tack the two blankets together. Space each tack roughly 6 to 8 inches apart.


Cut any excess off the edges so that the two blankets are the same size.


Bind the edges using 1 1/2 to 2 inch wide strips of material.


Fold and sew the corners. (I used 4 separate strips of material for the binding, one for each side. I then folded the corners neatly and sewed them down.)

After the blanket was complete I put it in the wash. It washed beautifully! 

So bring on the cool weather and hot chocolate!