Skip to main content

Green Pastures

There's probably not many of us out there that love waiting, especially in our American, instantaneous society. But, hopefully, Lord-willing, our days of waiting to move to Norway may be coming to an end! We have an appointment for our paperwork to be turned in soon and hopefully, shortly after that we will have approved permits!



As I look back over the craziness of the last few months I see blessings as well as trials. Waiting around in quarantine is not quite what I would have chosen for myself, but I have seen that no matter what we go through we are still extremely blessed!

Psalm 23 is one of those passages that shouts about God's blessings upon His people - in good times and bad. This passage has such beautiful truths right there and ready for the taking, and yet, how many times do we read familiar passages like this and gloss over the profound truths written right before us in black-and-white? Ones like: “The Lord” (Almighty God, Creator, Sustainer, Protector, and good Sovereign God of heaven and earth Who is in control of all things) “is” (right now) “my” (personal) “Shepherd” (the one Who leads, guides, and protects His sheep). But that is not all! The passage goes on to say that "He makes me lie down in green pastures." This makes me think of luscious green meadows full of nourishing grass for the sheep, not dried out weeds in a desert that are parched by the hot sun. In other words, this is good! God gives good gifts to His children! Verse 5 speaks of my cup overflowing, and later, in verse 6 we read “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.” Goodness and mercy, these are gifts that follow me wherever I go. Yes, goodness and mercy in my days of joy when things go right, and plans go through, and when what I have worked for finally comes to pass. And Yes, goodness and mercy will follow me in my disappointments, in my trials, and in my days of sorrow when things seem to go wrong. God is still good and merciful to me in those days as well. But the promise doesn’t stop there, the verse continues on to say that “I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Forever! The goodness and mercy of God towards His sheep will never end!

Sadly though, how many times have these beautiful promises been overlooked? I think sometimes God’s sheep can be so intent on “doing” (like getting to Norway) that we fail to simply “be.” We fail to stop and notice all the “green pastures” that we have right before us! Things like food, shelter, family and rest. Precious blessings from God that should be recognized, treasured and enjoyed. So as much as I would like to get to Norway, may I be thankful for God’s provision and enjoy the “green pastures” He has blessed me with right now. And may we see our cups not half full but rather overflowing with the goodness of God - because they are!